Savoury or sweet……fancy a treat?November 4, 2015
Finding abs after a big bump!!!November 26, 2015
As it gets colder and darker outside, it’s much more appealing to choose the easy option and skip a workout. We’ll be wrapping ourselves up for the next couple of months, so why not take full advantage; get a blanket on the sofa and truly wrap up?
Aside from the many, many benefits of exercise, it’s the winter time when we really need to release those endorphins and give ourselves a dose of our happier selves. Here are some of the things I do to make sure I don’t cheat myself by missing a workout:
- Plan the week: write planned workouts on a calendar and cross them off as you do them…..this personally gives me a great sense of achievement and if I can’t cross off a workout on my calendar I know I’ll feel disappointed about it later.
- Buy some new kit: treating yourself to something new; trainers, tracksuit, or any sports gear that floats your boat will give you a little push to work out……I’ve just invested in some training gloves that I love sticking on before my workouts….sad I know, but it works for me and it might for you!
- Set some goals: when I say goals, I don’t mean a weight loss or dress size goals. I mean a goal that will measure how you’ve improved physically. If you’re running; apply to do a half marathon or marathon, if you’re weight training; aim to lift a certain weight…..even if it is an individual exercise you can’t yet do like a push up, pull up or chin up, these physical goals will give you something to work towards each time you workout, and will help to get you out of the door in the first place. After all, how can you improve from under that blanket on the sofa?
- Get your kit out or on: if you plan to work out in the mornings, have your workout gear prepared the night before to allow you a quick turnaround in the morning, if you plan to workout in the evenings, get changed as soon as you’re home from work, the school run, or your daily duties to put you in the mood to workout.
- Prepare your fuel: prepare your food the night before….if you have a busy day ahead, it may be difficult to find time to eat the right food at the right time. Feeling hungry during the day makes it more tempting to eat the wrong foods, resulting in us feeling less energetic and more likely to want to spend more time on that sofa and less at the gym!!
- Partner up: having a training partner is great for motivation and support as well as making workouts more fun. You will be less likely to skip a workout with a partner as you will feel like you are letting someone else down……just be careful that your training partner is as focused as you are and don’t fall into the trap of skipping workouts because they have.
Thanks for reading……that’s me off to get my food and kit ready for my 5.45am workout tomorrow…..yes, you read that right….5.45am!!!